Thursday, September 11, 2008

About me

I'm studying Japanese because I'm a graduate student in pre-modern Chinese history, and a lot of scholarship on pre-modern China has been done in Japan. It's required that we take Japanese for three years so that we can read Japanese scholarship relevant to our projects. I would also like to be able to speak Japanese so that I can communicate with Japanese scholars and travel in Japan.

So far I find writing hiragana a little difficult, mainly because the characters are shaped differently from roman and Chinese characters and are difficult to write quickly.

4 comments:

julia said...

I think Hiragana won't seem so difficult in comparison to Kanji....0_o...

Erich said...

That's such a more interesting reason to study Japanese than my reason. I just want to be able to watch anime.
But seriously, I would also like to visit Japan and see Kyoto and Tokyo.
Good luck with your studies and let me know if you would ever like to drill or chat in Japanese together!

-E

wayne wagner said...

Yes, I have to learn Japanese up to year three as well for my PhD requirements. I wish you good luck with it, and I hope one day it serves your research very well.

JJTan said...

Wow, omoshiroi.. You are learning two new languages. But anyhow, don't you feel tired of learning new languages?? i hv been learning jap for around 4 months and I am kindof tired.. Sigh, bad bad decision for taking it as my minor..

JJ